Monday, April 4, 2011

Four meat, two fat, three grain, three vegetable... I like to call it dinner

I was horrified.

WHY had I said I would cook?!

I can't cook!
I can barely wake up without setting myself on fire, how would I ever manage to make something edible and still Jenny-riffic?

Ok... breathe.
You can do this.

I summoned my wits (all two of them) and my Success Guide, and picked out 4, 2, 3 and 3.
Sweet potato, grain, check.
Peas, grain, check.
Broccoli, vegetable, check.
Carrot, vegetable, check.
Chicken breast, meat, check.
Fats - oh, I'm sure I'd work something out!

I went to the shop after getting out of work with my mental list and my mind racing.
Would he think I was insane?
Would he wonder why I was making such a terrible meal?
Would he hate it?

Oh, hell.
Too bad.

I was NOT compromising all my hard work for anyone - no way.

I went home and got ready, and waited for my guest to arrive.
I had barely started preparation when he arrived and to my great relief he seemed completely unperturbed by my meal plan.
I had hidden away my Jenny menu (usually kept on the fridge) and anything else I thought would give me away.

Let me just say, I'm not embarrassed - I'm proud that I've taken this step and that I'm having success.
But I didn't think that I wanted to share that with someone I don't know that well.

So I steamed my veges, cooked my chicken in minimal cooking spray, and served them all up in a colourful cascade of orange and green. It was like a delicious edible Irish flag!

I'm happy to say I could not finish the lovely meal I had painstakingly - ok, maybe not that painstakingly - prepared but I enjoyed every bit!
And he seemed to like it too - so I guess that's the main thing.
He didn't die and he's coming back this week - I am a SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment